Monday, January 19, 2009

And we are friends with them because.....? Part 2

You may remember an article I posted a month ago about a Saudi judge refusing to annul a marriage between an 8 year old girl and a 47 year old man. Well, the saga continues with a cleric saying it is ok for girls as young as 10 to marry.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/01/17/saudi.child.marriage/index.html

Please note the following passages
  • "A girl aged 10 or 12 can be married. Those who think she's too young are wrong and they are being unfair to her."
  • "We hear a lot in the media about the marriage of underage girls," he said, according to the newspaper. "We should know that Shariah law has not brought injustice to women."

Ummm...I call Bull Shit on the second one. While I can't supply specific cases I do remember these interesting happenings because of Shariah

  • Women being stoned because they were raped
  • Women not being allowed to drive
  • Women not being allowed to own property
  • Honor killings being upheld
  • Women being raped because of the actions of their male relatives

So, I think Shariah law is a litttttle against women. I will be glad to ride a bicycle to work if that is what it takes to avoid giving money to the Saudis.

As for the age limit the cleric proposes, words escape me. I can't fathom what twisted logic one must have to think that is ok. Perhaps this cleric should spend some time being treated as a woman under Shariah law. I would like to see how he liked it after a year.

No comments: