Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ups and Downs

Got to experience the joy of home repair Saturday. My garage door opener crapped out oh, about two or three months ago. So, yes, I haven't been parking in the garage during that time. And yes, I haven't kicked my procrastination yet. Besides, if I did, I wouldn't be Mike anymore...

Anyway, I called around for estimates to repair/replace the opener. I found out that since I didn't have the electronic eye on the door (to prevent killing my non-existing progeny) I would basically have to replace the opener at a cost of $300+ with installation! I asked if there was another way around it and was told that my Sears Craftsman opener had a habit of stripping the plastic gears inside (more on that later) and there was a repair kit I could buy for $45. While mulling over whether to repair or replace (for two months, I like to contemplate) I stumbled upon the kit online for $15 plus shipping and handling. Sold!

Now onto the repair. It wasn't the easiest thing to do but through much hammering (locking pins definitely lock) and adjusting I finally got it repaired. As for the plastic gears, they are most definitely plastic because I found about two handfuls of plastic powder upon opening the box (that's what she said). I must say I am perplexed as to why Sears Craftsman would use plastic in their gear boxes. The metal equivalents could only cost $5 more. I'm sure there is a valid reason but I'm inclined to think it is to perpetuate the replacement kit market.

No comments: