Monday, November 24, 2008

Ups and Downs Part Dos

So, this is how my Friday (my day off) went.

Instead of loafing around all day watching stuff on my DVR, OK, I did loaf for a little bit, this is me we're talking about now, I had to tackle a couple of projects. Number 1 on my list was to make a pork roast/stew. I hopped in my car to go get the ingredients I forgot (nothing unusual about that). Upon turning the key I was greeted by a mostly dead battery (not totally dead, have fun storming the castle). So, the mostly dead battery became project number 2. Then, I disgustedly got out of the car and decided to walk to Kroger's (not far) and tried to close the garage door. Of course the door goes down about a foot and then reverses. Attempt 2, 3, and 4 produce the same results. Now I have project number 3! Huzzah!

After closing the door manually I walk to Kroger's in the sub freezing temps. Hey, makes for a brisk walk. I return home with the ingredients plus some pork ribs that were on sale for $1.19/pound (this post brought to by the Pork Council) and put the stew ingredients in the pot and start the 8 hour cook time.

Now I head out to the garage. First I have to push the car to the front of the driveway, not that fun if you know my driveway. Take off the opener cover, look at it contemplatively like I know exactly what I'm doing. Fiddle with it, take off the chain, curse many times, and come to the conclusion that I can't fix it. Briefly contemplate taking batting practice with the opener. Resign myself to buying a new one (grrrrrrr).

Now I look in the car for the battery receipt, it couldn't have been that long since I bought it. No dice. Call Sears, they have the battery for $124 (at least the price hasn't gone up) and show I last purchased a battery in June of 2005. Quick calculations deduce November 2008 is past the 3 year warranty (Of Course!).

Total pending charges $450

Now I remember that I have a home warranty, does it include garage door openers? It does! It will only cost $60 for repair/replacement!

Total pending charges $184

Rachel comes home for lunch to give me a jump, my car that is ;) Drive to Sears and find the battery is still mostly dead. Unfortunately Billy Crystal is out of potions. Good news though, after prodding the sales guy they prorate the cost because of the 100 month limited warranty (thanks Sears). New battery will now cost $63!

Total pending charges $123

Walk around the mall (man, it has changed) and find a used copy of Bust-a-move for the Wii for just $19! Receive a call from the Sears guy, found a screw in my tire (same tire I just replaced last month). It will cost $18 to repair, $100 to replace. Great.

Total pending charges $151-223

Get back to Sears and the screw didn't hurt the tire, no charge!

Total pending charges $123

So, my Friday definitely had some ups and downs but turned out better than it could have been. Plus, the stew turned out great.

To paraphrase a great urban poet; Damn right it was a mostly good day.

No comments: