Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Where Have I Been?

Folks, it's been a while since I posted. My apologies. Here's a run down of what I've been up to these past couple of weeks.


Bachelor Party and Wedding - Went down to St. Louis for my buddy Jason's bachelor party. Had a great time and will leave out the details to avoid incriminating people... The wedding was great and we had an awesome time. The Par-A-Dice hotel was very nice and we liked our room.

Second City - To celebrate Rachel's birthday, we went to see the Second City touring show at the Center for Performing Arts. The show was hilarious and we really enjoyed it. Next time they come around, we'll definitely be there. Dinner was at Reality Bites. The seared Ahi tuna was delicious, calamari tasty as usual, and the pork tacos did not disappoint.

Everything and the Kitchen Sink - In our quest to remove all traces of brass color from the house we are replacing fixtures and various hardware. Included in the items we purchased from Menard's (curse bless you and your no payments no interest until 2010) was a new stainless steel kitchen sink and faucet. Naturally, replacing a sink involves removing the old one, which brings with it a whole host of "learning opportunities". My learning opportunities in this adventure were:

  • Silicone sealant really really really seals
  • Putty knives jammed under an old sink with the help of a hammer, twisting, cursing, sweating, and generally getting mad, helps unseal
  • One can never have too many PVC pieces
  • Different sinks have the drains at different levels and locations
  • Different drains require a lot of problem solving and adventure
  • PVC cement should not be used in enclosed spaces, nor open spaces, or space for that matter; I think I'm still high
  • Sewer gas is somewhat unpleasant
  • Specialty wrenches rule
  • Tile floors are not very comfortable to sit on
  • One can never have too many buckets and bowls
  • I don't advise looking in the drain pipe of your sink, you might not like what you see
  • Reusing is great in theory

The sink took about 4 hours total. It was worth it though to have a sink we like and a faucet that doesn't look like it came out of an 80's whore house.

Sickness - Last week Rachel and I both came down with whatever flu/cold/plague has been going around. I left work on Tuesday and was out the rest of the week. Let's just say it was unpleasant. I'm not 100% yet but I feel a lot better. The silver lining is that I had worked ahead on my project at work and did not suffer any setbacks. Let's hope less procrastination is in my future.

That's all for now. In the upcoming weeks I have a CLU test to study for and we will be painting the upstairs bathroom, and removing more brass.

No comments: