Friday, May 1, 2009

Get Off My Lawn!

How many of you have had the "Oh my, I really am an adult now" moment? You know, one of those instances where you turn into one of your parents? This isn't to say that I haven't realized I'm an adult until now.

This past weekend I had a very definitive "adult" experience. Rachel and I were sitting in the living room easing into our day when I heard a ruckus (a sure sign of adulthood when you use words such as ruckus) across the street. As many of you know, our house is behind an eye clinic. At this clinic there is a fenced off rear entrance (so we can't see what is really going on in there...). From behind this fence I can hear several kids messing around hitting things. So, I go outside to see what these future fry cooks are doing. Once I step on the porch 3 boys (of course) around the age of 7 emerge from the fence. I was just going to stand there and watch them leave but they forced my hand. Right then they all picked up handfuls of river rock and started throwing them, including at each other.

At this moment my Dad entered my head and I yelled, "You kids knock it off. Put down those rocks right now!" They all turned with a look on their faces I imagine I displayed at that age MANY times. Much to my delight, one of them took off like the cops were coming (perhaps preparing for the future?), one walked away defiantly (I'm sure I'll see him many many times in the coming years), and the last shuffled off stealing sheepish glances while slowly letting go of the rocks.

I come back in the house to see Rachel giggling, to which I responded, "When did I become to grumpy man on the street?".

This was after we were awoken at 7am by our lovely neighbor's dog who they left outside in the rain. It was also after I screamed out the window, "Put your dog inside" and "It's raining, let your dog in!"

I look forward to keeping Frisbees and sports balls that enter my yard.

No comments: