Monday, February 16, 2009

Menards, how I love/hate thee

Saturday we opened the paper to find that Menards was in the last day of a 15% off sale so we zoomed on over there. As you may remember from my previous post, my outdoor spigot had burst (even though it was an anti-siphon one...) so I needed to replace it sooner, rather than later.

We arrived and quickly found the spigot (more expensive than the others of course). Then we decided, "Hey we haven't liked our cabinet knobs for a while, so why don't we find new ones?" We looked over all the choices and decided to get some cool metallic black ones (33 of them). We thought they would go better with our cabinets instead of the shiny brass colored ones. -- Side bar - I genuinely like the previous owner as he saved me a lot of work and I generally liked his taste, buuuut, I have no idea why he loved shiny brass. And I mean LOVED. It's all over the place. I feel like I'm back in high school marching band surrounded by instruments. -- Anyway, we grabbed those knobs (@ $4.74 a piece, important later) and picked up some other odds and ends (solar security light, a wrench, and new toilet handles, again with the brass).

We get home and immediately install the new knobs. They look pretty cool and we are satisfied with ourselves.

Sunday
I'm cooking along putting up the security light, installing the spigot (found out why it froze, whoever installed it didn't let it slope so the water couldn't get out, good times), and puttering around. I go inside to thaw out my hands when Rachel voices what I was thinking, "I think the knobs aren't quite right." Alas, I had to agree they didn't fit with the kitchen so we took them all off (thankfully we still had the bags) and headed to Menards. Return was no problem (along with the toilet handles, universal my ass) and we looked again. Found some we liked but knew we could get them slightly cheaper online.

Then we went to Lowe's, looked again, and found the same ones we liked, only cheaper than online, SOLD! Cut back home and reinstalled the knobs to our satisfaction. I know, our lives are awash in excitement.

No comments: